How to Solve Coin Word Problems | Minute Math
The video (file) shared on this page is submitted by a user who claims the right to do so and has agreed to SchoolTube's Terms. Copyright owners may claim potential violations
1. Read the problem. Make sure all the words and ideas are understood.
2. Determine the types of coins involved.
3. Create a table to organize the information.
4. Label the columns “type,” “number,” “value,” and “total value.”
5. List the types of coins.
6. Write in the value of each type of coin.
7. Write in the total value of all the coins.This chart has two columns and four rows. The first row is a header and it labels the first column “Type” and the second column “Number times Value in dollars is equal to Total Value in dollars.” The second header column is subdivided into three columns for the “number,” “value,” and “total value.” The total value column has an additional row. The chart is empty.
8. Identify what you are looking for.
9. Name what you are looking for. Choose a variable to represent that quantity.
10. Use variable expressions to represent the number of each type of coin and write them in the table.
11. Multiply the number times the value to get the total value of each type of coin.
12. Translate into an equation.
It may be helpful to restate the problem in one sentence with all the important information. Then, translate the sentence into an equation.
13. Write the equation by adding the total values of all the types of coins.
14. Solve the equation using good algebra techniques.
15. Check the answer in the problem and make sure it makes sense.
16. Answer the question with a complete sentence.
The problem we solve in this video is "Jesse has $13.02 worth of pennies and nickels in his piggy bank. The number of nickels is three more than eight times the number of pennies. How many nickels and how many pennies does Jesse have?" #wordproblems #coinwordproblems #minutemath #algebrahelp #algebra #algebra2 #mathhelp #onlinemathvideos #lightboard #math #mathvideos #oer #openstax
Here is the link to our website which covers this topic more in depth:
Every Month we have a new GIVEAWAY that is FREE to Enter. See link below for details. You can enter Every Month!
Amazon Store Front: How we make our videos, Recommended Educational Resources, Etc.:
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel:
Visit our website for links to all of our videos:
Need a Math Tutor?
Visit our STEM Store for all your Math and Science Gear: https://minutemathshop.com/
Join our Discord Server for Math Talk and Math Help!
Great Educational Resources Here:
Subscribe to our other Life and Finance/Business YouTube Channel:
Consider supporting us on Patreon...
Follow us for...
Business and Personal Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/gannonforpresident/
CC Licensed Content, Original
Revision and Adaption. Provided by: Minute Math. License: CC BY 4.0
CC Licensed Content, Shared Previously
Marecek, L., & Mathis, A. H. (2020). Solve Mixture and Uniform Motion Applications. In Intermediate Algebra 2e. OpenStax. https://openstax.org/books/intermediate-algebra-2e/pages/2-4-solve-mixture-and-uniform-motion-applic.... License: CC BY 4.0. Access for free at https://openstax.org/books/intermediate-algebra-2e/pages/2-introduction