Cape Henlopen State Park and Gordon's Pond Bike Tour in 4K -- Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Lesson Plan: Exploring Nature's Wonders: Cape Henlopen State Park and Gordon's Pond Bike Tour
Grade Level: 6-8
Objective: By the end of this lesson, students will be able to explore the natural beauty of Cape Henlopen State Park and Gordon's Pond through a guided bike tour. Students will learn about coastal ecosystems, wildlife conservation, and the importance of outdoor recreation while developing their physical fitness and environmental awareness.
Common Core Standards:
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.RI.6.1: Cite textual evidence to support analysis of what the text says explicitly as well as inferences drawn from the text.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.W.7.2: Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas, concepts, and information.
- CCSS.ELA-LITERACY.SL.8.1: Engage effectively in a range of collaborative discussions on grade-level topics.
- Access to the internet or library resources
- Bicycles and helmets (if available)
- Paper and pencils
1. Introduction (5 minutes):
- Begin the lesson by discussing the importance of outdoor recreation and its benefits for physical and mental health.
- Show images or videos of Cape Henlopen State Park and Gordon's Pond to capture students' interest and curiosity.
2. Research and Discussion (15 minutes):
- Instruct students to research and find information about Cape Henlopen State Park, its coastal ecosystems, and the wildlife that inhabits the area.
- Encourage students to explore topics such as sand dunes, marshes, and the various bird species found in the park.
- Allow students to discuss their findings in small groups or pairs.
3. Bike Tour Preparation (15 minutes):
- Explain the logistics of the bike tour, including the route, safety precautions, and the importance of following park rules.
- If bicycles and helmets are available, provide a demonstration on proper bike safety and maintenance.
- Assign students to small groups and distribute maps or guidebooks outlining the bike tour route.
4. Guided Bike Tour (60 minutes):
- Conduct the guided bike tour, leading students through Cape Henlopen State Park and Gordon's Pond.
- Along the way, stop at specific points of interest, such as observation decks or wildlife viewing areas, to discuss the unique characteristics of the area.
- Encourage students to observe and take notes on the flora, fauna, and natural features encountered during the bike tour.
5. Reflective Writing and Discussion (10 minutes):
- After completing the bike tour, have students individually write a short reflection on their experience.
- Prompt students to describe their favorite part of the tour, any new knowledge gained, and how they felt being immersed in nature.
- Allow students to share their reflections with the class and engage in a group discussion on the importance of preserving natural habitats.
Common Core Labels Correlations:
Enjoy a bike ride from Cape Henlopen State Park to the Rehoboth Beach boardwalk. Along the way we tour a WWII observation tower and see hundreds of birds along Gordon's Pond Trail.